About my Geek Guide

I've been a computer technician for over 12 years. Over that time I have compiled little guides for friends and family, and as I go through them I'll add them here. Please check back and feel free to comment with tips or questions.

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

My PC is still slow, what gives?

If your software load is recent you may just need to defrag your hard drive. Fragmentation happens when data gets spread around the hard drive making the drive work harder to access the data. This naturally happens from time and use. Defragging a hard drive puts the data on the drive all together so it runs faster. It can take some time, even up to a few hours if you have a large drive and you haven't run defrag on in a while.

Clean up and uninstall all extra programs. Check for viruses and malware.

Your computer will always be at it's fastest RIGHT after it's loaded from scratch. If you've been using your software load for a year or more it may need to be re-loaded. I do this about once a year regardless. It can be done with the restore CD that came with your computer. Each manufacturer may have different instructions; so check your PC's documentation. Be sure to back up your files before you wipe out your hard drive. Have the install disks of all your other applications as well.

No comments: