About my Geek Guide

I've been a computer technician for over 12 years. Over that time I have compiled little guides for friends and family, and as I go through them I'll add them here. Please check back and feel free to comment with tips or questions.

Monday, January 1, 2007

The weird things....

Computers do weird things. They just do. It just happens. I often have users ask me WHY their things fail. First off... I read somewhere that only people who take drugs and work with computers are called USERS. LOL!! I once told one woman, "Well, to really find out WHY this is happening, we'd have to get the writers of the code of Windows, this app, and thatta app, and so on and so on, to get to HOW and WHY." I suggested we just FIX!!! That's so much faster than figuring out why and how it broke.

Few things I tell most people...

Computers can break themselves without ANY human intervention.

There is a law of quantum physics that says the act of observation changes that which is being observed. Has your car ever stop doing the thing you brought it in to the shop for - as soon as it was near the mechanic? I've gone into many an office and the problem the user called in for could not be duplicated.

You do not have to be an auto mechanic to drive a car.

No comments: